Mobile elevated work platforms (MEWPs) have become an essential tool for a wide range of industries and applications. They provide a safe and efficient way for workers to access elevated heights. They are widely used in various industries such as construction, maintenance, and industrial applications. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of MEWPs, their uses, and safety considerations to keep in mind when operating them.
Types of Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
MEWPs come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each with its unique capabilities and advantages. The four main types of MEWPs are articulating boom lifts, telescoping boom lifts, scissor lifts, and towable boom lifts.
- Articulating boom lifts have multiple sections that can bend and rotate, allowing the operator to reach over and around obstacles. They are suitable for areas with limited access and confined spaces.
- Telescoping boom lifts have a single, straight boom that can extend straight out, making them ideal for reaching tall heights. They are suitable for outdoor use and can be used for a wide range of applications.
- Scissor lifts have a set of interlocking supports that lift the platform straight up, making them ideal for working on flat surfaces. They are suitable for indoor use and are commonly used in warehouses and factories.
- Towable boom lifts are small and lightweight, making them easy to transport from one job site to another. They are suitable for outdoor use and are commonly used in landscaping and tree trimming applications.
Uses of Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
MEWPs are used in a wide range of industries and applications, including:
- Construction: They are used to lift workers and materials to elevated heights for building and maintenance. They are used in various construction tasks such as building maintenance, painting, and window cleaning.
- Industrial: They are used for maintenance and repair in industrial settings, such as factories and warehouses. They are used for tasks such as changing lightbulbs, inspecting equipment, and performing repairs.
- Emergency Services: Aerial work platforms are used by fire department, police and other emergency services for rescue operations and crowd control.
- Film and Events: They are used in film and event production to give camera operators and lighting technicians access to elevated positions.
When operating a MEWP, safety should always be the top priority. A few key safety considerations to keep in mind include:
- Proper Training: It is essential that operators are properly trained and certified before using MEWPs. Proper training includes learning how to operate the equipment safely and understand the risks associated with the job.
- Equipment Inspection: The platform should be inspected before each use to ensure that it is in good working condition. Any defects or issues should be reported and fixed before using the equipment.
- Personal Protective Equipment: Safety harnesses and other personal protective equipment should be worn at all times.
- Manufacturer's Instructions: The platform should be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and industry safety standards.
MEWPs are essential tools for a wide range of industries and applications. They provide a safe and efficient way for workers to access elevated heights but it is crucial to follow safety guidelines to prevent accidents and ensure that the equipment is used correctly. Proper training, equipment inspection, and adherence to industry safety standards are all critical to the safe use of MEWPs. Always ensure that the operators are certified, the equipment is well maintained, and the work is done following the industry safety standards to prevent any accidents.
Can a MEWP be used as a substitute for a crane?
Due to their specific design, MEWP can only be used to elevate operators and their equipment. They are designed for accessing high areas that would otherwise be difficult to access. Whilst crane are designed to lift and move heavy objects.
Operator Comfort in Aerial Platforms: A Key to Safety
Aerial platform operators are akin to superheroes. Working at heights, they face unique challenges and must contend with various risks. It is imperative to ensure that their risky work is made as secure as possible. One way to achieve this is by enhancing operator comfort when using an aerial platform. At Klubb, we recognize that investing in operator comfort can have a significant impact on their safety and productivity.
PPE: what is their importance for the safety of operators?
Personal protective equipment (PPE) has the role of protecting operators of aerial work platforms from the various risks they face in their profession. PPE is not the only form of protection, but rather one among other safety measures that employers, employees on site, and manufacturers providing safe work platforms should consider.